Weekly Teaching Conferences: Thursday 7 AM – 11 AM
- Grand Rounds (7-8 AM)
Grand Rounds are held weekly from 7-8 AM. Lectures are given by distinguished speakers in the field of Otolaryngology and related specialties and include lecturers from both the University of Pennsylvania and from medical institutions around the world.
- Faculty Lecture Series (8-10 AM)
Faculty lecturers from each sub-specialty give the didactic lectures to the residents on Thursday mornings from 8-10 AM. These lectures are focused discussions within the sub-specialties and are meant to enhance clinical training and resident led didactics.
- Resident Review Sessions/OTOSource/COCHLIA (10-11AM)
This is a self-study curriculum arranged by the American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery as a board exam review tool. These didactic sessions are resident led discussions on important topics within otolaryngology.
Additional Educational Activities:
- Monthly M&M/Quality Improvement/Quality Assurance Conference
A monthly morbidity and mortality conference to encourage quality improvement within the department.
- Chairman’s Rounds
Bi-Monthly discussion based didactic session on Head and Neck Surgery topics for the residents led by the Department Chair.
- Tumor Board Conference
Weekly multidisciplinary patient conference includes specialists from Otolaryngology, Radiology, Pathology, Medical Oncology, and Radiation Oncology.
- Monthly Journal Club
Faculty or fellow led discussion of current Otolaryngology journal articles.
- Head and Neck Surgery Dissection labs
Cadaver dissection courses for the residents led by Head and Neck Surgery faculty.
- Temporal Bone Course
Cadaver temporal bone dissections led by Otology faculty.
- Hands on TORS Training provided in the laboratory and in the OR
Department Sponsored Educational Conferences and Courses
- Temporal Bone Course with Visiting Professor
- International TransOral Robotic Surgery Course
- International Rhinology and Skullbase Course
- CHOP Airway Course
- Injectables/Facial Plastics Course
- Thyroid/Parathyroid Ultrasound Course
- Head and Neck Cancer Resection/Recon Course/Cadaver Lab
Department Supported Educational Conferences and Courses
- National ENT Boot Camp in Washington DC (PGY2s)
- Penn Medicine Simulation Center “Simfest” (PGY3s)
- AO Facial Trauma Course
- Allergy and Immunology Course
- Philadelphia Laryngology Society Meetings (quarterly)
- Center for Human Appearance Conferences (monthly)
- Advanced Laryngology, Endoscopic Ear Surgery, Skull Base, Sleep Surgery, Rhinoplasty, and more…