There are numerous housing options for interns and residents at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
- Graduate Hospital/Fitler Square – Most residents from across the UPHS and CHOP health systems live in this area because of its proximity to the hospital (20-25 minute walk), affordability, and accessibility to Center City/Rittenhouse Square (5-10 minute walk). Many young families also live in this area.
- University City/West Philadelphia – The University City area offers many apartments and houses for rent at very reasonable prices. Many graduate and undergraduate students at the University of Pennsylvania live in this area.
- Center City/Rittenhouse Square, Art Museum – Some residents choose to live in the Center City or Art Museum areas. These areas provide more cultural attractions, great restaurants, and all of the advantages of city living.
- Suburbs – Some residents, particularly those with families with older children, prefer to live in the suburbs that are still easily accessible to the medical centers (within a 30 minute drive).
- PA Suburbs – Manayunk and Roxborough, near the Schuykill River, the Drexel Hill area and Havertown have been popular.
- NJ Suburbs – The New Jersey suburbs are also convenient and inexpensive and have outstanding public school systems.